Bibliography of English Language Scholarship on Ezra Pound
Assembled and edited by Archie Henderson and Roxana Preda
ESSAY COLLECTIONS AND COLLECTIVE VOLUMES
- Parker, Richard, ed. Readings in the Cantos. Vol. 2. Clemson SC: Clemson UP, 2022.
Contributors include John R. O. Gery, Massimo Bacigalupo, Dorsey Kleitz, Zhaoming Qian, Mary Ellis Gibson, Michael Kindellan, Harry Gilonis, Akitoshi Nagahata, David Ten Eyck, Jeff Twitchell-Waas, LeeAnn Derdyn, Roxana Preda, Caterina Ricciardi, Sean Pryor, Mark Byron, Henry Mead on Canto 76, free online, Kristin Grogan, Ira Nadel, Alexander Howard, and Ron Bush.
VOLUMES INCLUDING MATERIAL ON EZRA POUND
- A Companion to American Poetry. Eds. Mary Mcaleer Balkun, Jeffrey Gray, and Paul Jaussen. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, 2022 [Bob Perelman, The New in Hindsight: Modernist Poetry and Poetics in the Classroom, 107-119; Susan M. Schultz, Trans-Pacific Poetics: Eastern Influences on American Poetry in the Twentieth and Twenty-First Centuries, 257-268].
- de Courcy, Anne. Five Love Affairs and a Friendship: The Paris Life of Nancy Cunard, Icon of the Jazz Age. London: Weidenfeld & Nicolson, 2022.
- Hirsch, Edward. The Heart of American Poetry. Library of America, 2022.
- Hollenberg, Donna Krolik. Winged Words: The Life and Work of the Poet H. D. Ann Arbor: U of Michigan P, 2022.
- Kaplan, Robert D. Adriatic: A Concert of Civilizations at the End of the Modern Age. New York: Random House, 2022.
- Kumojima, Tomoe. Victorian Women's Travel Writing on Meiji Japan: Hospitable Friendship. Oxford: Oxford UP, 2022 [4. A Scientist in Love: Marie Stopes and A Journal from Japan, 148-183 (in part, on Jōji Sakurai's criticisms of translations by Basil Hall Chamberlain and Ezra Pound, including Pound’s translation of Kagekiyo, in unpublished letters to Marie Stopes), chapter abstract].
- Moran, James. Modernists and the Theatre: The Drama of W.B. Yeats, Ezra Pound, D.H. Lawrence, James Joyce, T.S. Eliot and Virginia Woolf. London: Bloomsbury Academic, 2022 [2. Ezra Pound: Theatre and anti-Semitism, 47-76, chapter extract].
- Obiwu. What Is Poetry?: Critical Essays on Ezra Pound, Chinua Achebe, Roy Campbell, Nnamdi Azikiwe, Langston Hughes, Christopher Okigbo, Dennis Brutus, Archilochus. Lewiston, NY: The Edwin Mellen P, 2022 [7. The Ecopoetics of Christopher Okigbo and Ezra Pound].
- Rasula, Jed. Wreading: A Poetics of Awareness, or How Do We Know What We Know? Tuscaloosa: The U of Alabama P, 2022 [A Potential Intelligence: The Case of the Disappearing Poets, 3-37 (esp. 21-25)].
- Teo, Tze-Yin. If Babel Had a Form: Translating Equivalence in the Twentieth-Century Transpacific. New York: Fordham UP, 2022. Chapter abstracts. Chapter excerpts.
ARTICLES IN JOURNALS AND COLLECTIONS
- Ahmad, Sajjad, and Abdul Hamid. "Patterns of Connection in Prison Poetry of Ezra Pound and Faiz Ahmad Faiz." PalArch's Journal of Archaeology of Egypt / Egyptology (PJAEE) 19.1 (2022): 561-571. Free online and here and here.
- Al-Dwakiat, Khawla. "Poetical and Political: Ezra Pound as an Exilic Intellectual." American Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences Research (AJHSSR) 6.5 (May 2022): 113-118. Free online.
- Fang, Grace Po-ting. "Reader Response to Cathay and Pragmatic Approach in Translation Studies." IJSSHR - International Journal of Social Science and Humanities Research 5.1 (Feb. 2022): 20-35. Free online and here.
- Fowler, Rowena. "Ezra Pound's Ragbag: The Cantos as Cento. Cento-Texts in the Making: Aesthetics and Poetics of Cento-Techniques from Homer to Zong! Ed. Manuel Baumbach. Trier: WVT Wissenschaftlicher Verlag Trier, 2022. 21-40.
- Hao, Fu. "Who Is Ts'ai Chi'h?" Notes and Queries 69.1 (March 2022): 48-50. Extract.
- Hakutani, Yoshinobu. "Haiku, Ezra Pound, and Imagism." Haiku, Other Arts, and Literary Disciplines. Eds. Yoshinobu Hakutani and Toru Kiuchi. Lanham: Lexington Books, 2022. 211-235.
- Kaplan, Robert D. "Idol temptations on the Adriatic." The New Criterion 40.7 (March 2022): 14ff. On Ezra Pound and Joseph Brodsky. Free online.
- Li, Zixi. "Imagism of Chinese Poem: A Literary Study on Ezra Pound's Poetry." Jomantara 2.1 (January 2022): 1-9. Free online and here.
- McGann, Jerome. "Breakthrough into Performance: A Touchstone Work of Late Modernist American Poetry." PAJ: A Journal of Performance and Art 44.1 (Jan. 2022): 16-29. Free online and here.
- Mirabile, Paul. "Ezra Pound's 'Poetico-Political Mission' and the Revival of Confucianism in Modern China." International Journal of African and Asian Studies 79 (2022): 22-34. Free online and here.
- Nicholls, Peter. "Gold and Gloom in Ravenna: On a Line in Ezra Pound's Cantos." Modern Philology 119.4 (May 2022): 535-554. Abstract.
- Parker, Sarah. "Katharine Tynan as the Source of Lionel Johnson 'Barstool' Myth in Ezra Pound's Hugh Selwyn Mauberley (1920)." Notes and Queries, Published: 26 February 2022. Extract.
- Qian, Zhaoming. "Vorticism Reinitiated in Brunnenburg: Pound's Naxi Cantos of the 1960s." Late Modernism and Expatriation. Ed. Lauren Arrington. Clemson: Clemson UP, 2022. 143-156. Chapter abstract.
- Resina, Joan Ramon. "The Troubles of Production: Ezra Pound and Jean Baudrillard on the Symbols of Exchange." Cultures of Currencies: Literature and the Symbolic Foundation of Money. Ed. Joan Ramon Resina. London and New York: Routledge, 2022. 206-223. Chapter abstract.
- Shabani, Vjona Sylejmani, and Muhamet Hamiti. "Literary Time and Literary Space in Imagism and Ezra Pound's Poetry." Academic Journal of Interdisciplinary Studies 11.1 (January 2022): 330-340. Free online and here and here.
- Smith, Marilyn Schwinn. "An American in His Native Land: John Cournos in Petrograd." Journal of Russian American Studies 6.1 (May 2022): 1-39. Part 2 of a two-part article on Cournos (for Part 1, see Smith, "John Cournos Among the Imagists: Prelude to Petrograd," Journal of Russian American Studies 5.1 (May 2021): 24-47). Free online and here and here and here and here.
- Sotirova, Violeta. "Pedagogical Stylistics and the Integration of Literary and Linguistic Criticism." Pedagogical Stylistics in the 21st Century. Eds. Sonia Zyngier and Greg Watson. Cham: Palgrave Macmillan, 2022. 31-53 [on Ezra Pound's use of the present perfect aspect in "Provincia Deserta"].
- Tanaka, Yosuke. "on Ezra Pound, 'The Encounter' (1916)." The Difference Is Spreading: Fifty Contemporary Poets on Fifty Poems. Eds. Al Filreis and Anna Strong Safford. Philadelphia: U of Pennsylvania P, 2022. 27-29.
- Wan, Zhengfa. "Image, Impressionism and Imagism: Dialogue between Chinese and Western Poetics on Image." Proceedings of the 2022 International Conference on Social Sciences and Humanities and Arts (SSHA 2022). Atlantis Press, 2022. 70-74. Free online.
- Zhang, Xiping. "The Impact of Ancient Chinese Cultural Classics on the West: The Case of Ezra Pound." A Study on the Influence of Ancient Chinese Cultural Classics Abroad in the Twentieth Century. Ed. Xiping Zhang. Trans. Bin Yao and Ursula Deser Friedman. Singapore: Springer, 2022. 225-241. Chapter abstract, notes, and references.
- Anon. Rev. of Adriatic: A Concert of Civilizations at the End of the Modern Age, by Robert D. Kaplan. Publishers Weekly (Feb. 9, 2022). Free online.
- Anon. Rev. of Memoirs, by Robert Lowell, eds. Steven Gould Axelrod and Grzegorz Kosc. Kirkus Reviews (June 1, 2022). Free online.
- Campbell, J. Kemper. "Review: Tenuous link to a great read." Rev. of Old Poets: Reminiscences & Opinions, by Donald Hall. Lincoln Journal Star, Feb. 20, 2022. Free online.
- Dirda, Michael. "Poetry matters. Two new books remind us why." Rev. of The Heart of American Poetry, by Edward Hirsch, and Rhyme's Rooms: The Architecture of Poetry, by Brad Leithauser. The Washington Post, April 27, 2022. Free online.
- Freeman, Laura. "Five Love Affairs and a Friendship by Anne de Courcy review — the heiress who made the Twenties roar." Rev. of Five Love Affairs and a Friendship: The Paris Life of Nancy Cunard, Icon of the Jazz Age, by Anne de Courcy. The Times, April 23, 2022. Excerpt.
- Goldfajn, Tal. "Super-Close Reading: On Marjorie Perloff's 'Infrathin: An Experiment in Micropoetics.'" Rev. of Infrathin: An Experiment in Micropoetics, by Marjorie Perloff. The Los Angeles Review of Books, March 29, 2022. Free online.
- Grafe, Adrian. Rev. of Poetry and Money: A Speculation, by Peter Robinson. Essays in Criticism 72.1 (January 2022): 118-124. Extract.
- Graham, Ysenda Maxtone. "Racy heiress who cheated on her lover with his friend ...in the next room! Nancy Cunard slept with geniuses from Aldous Huxley to Ezra Pound, but thought nothing of betraying and belittling them — or even beating them black and blue..." Rev. of Five Love Affairs and a Friendship: The Paris Life of Nancy Cunard, Icon of the Jazz Age, by Anne de Courcy. The Daily Mail, 14 April 2022. Free online.
- Haliloğlu, Nagihan. Rev. of Modernism, Empire, World Literature, by Joe Cleary. English: Journal of the English Association 71.272 (Spring 2022): 88-92. Extract.
- Harris, Robert. "Making Him New: Ezra Pound in the Twenty-First Century." Rev. of The New Ezra Pound Studies, ed. Mark Byron. Journal of Modern Literature 45.2 (Winter 2022): 183-191. First page and abstract.
- Kirkham, Pat. Rev. of Victoria Rosner, Machines for Living: Modernism and Domestic Life. Journal of the Society of Architectural Historians 81.1 (Mar. 2022): 111-112. Abstract.
- Leca, Diana. "Velvet whistles: The fine distinctions that tell us what poems mean." Rev. of Infrathin: An Experiment in Micropoetics, by Marjorie Perloff. Times Literary Supplement 6204 (Feb. 25, 2022). Free online.
- Madden, Thomas F. "Looking for Europe's Future in an Overlooked Corner of the Continent." Rev. of Adriatic: A Concert of Civilizations at the End of the Modern Age, by Robert D. Kaplan. The New York Times, April 20, 2022. Free online.
- Mahoney, Anne. Rev. of Translations of Greek Tragedy in the Work of Ezra Pound, by Peter Liebregts. Classical Outlook 97.1 (Mar. 2022). Preview.
- Nolé, Leonardo. Rev. of Carmen Concilio and Daniela Fargione, eds., Trees in Literatures and the Arts. HumanArboreal Perspectives in the Anthropocene. Ecozon@ 13.1 (2022): 202-204. Free online and here and here and here and here and here.
- Padilla, Kate. Rev. of The Heart of American Poetry, by Edward Hirsch. Authorlink, Mar. 30, 2022. Free online.
- Ridley, Jane. "Nymphomaniac, fearless campaigner, alcoholic – Nancy Cunard was all this and more." Rev. of Five Love Affairs and a Friendship: The Paris Life of Nancy Cunard, Icon of the Jazz Age, by Anne de Courcy. The Spectator, 23 April 2022. Free online.
- Stewart, Michael. Rev. of Adapting the Canon: Mediation, Visualization, Interpretation. Eds. Ann Lewis and Silke Arnold-de Simine. Translation and Literature 31.1 (Mar. 2022): 136-141. First page.
- Wall, William. "Preaching Poppycock." Rev. of The Poets of Rapallo, by Lauren Arrington. Dublin Review of Books, February 2022. Free online.
- Winant, Johanna. "Infrathin: An Experiment in Micropoetics by Marjorie Perloff." Wallace Stevens Journal 46.1 (Spring 2022): 115-117. Excerpt and first page.
- Winant, Johanna. Rev. of Natalia Cecire, Experimental: American Literature and the Aesthetics of Knowledge. American Literary History, Published: 12 March 2022. First page.
- Dodson, Steve. "Pound in Russia." languagehat.com, February 8, 2022. Free online.
- Pollock, Vance. "Ezra Pound, Silvershirt." American Archvillain, Feb. 25, 2022. Including a reproduction of "Ezra Pound, Silvershirt," New Masses, XVIII.12 (17 Mar. 1936) 15-16. Free online.
- Racher, Eric T. "Poetry and Music - Part 2- Rhythm and Feeling." Eric T. Racher, January 31, 2022. Free online.
- Stare, Janez. "Ezra Pound." International graves, 2022? Free online.